Thursday, January 15, 2009

ARCTIC BLAST! ~ BRANDIED BEAN & SAUSAGE CHOWDER

"Imagine, if you can, what the rest of the evening was like. How they crouched by the fire which blazed and leaped and made much of itself in the little grate. How they removed the covers of the dishes, and found rich, hot savory soup, which was a meal in itself, and sandwiches and toast and muffings enough for both of them."
~ Frances Hodgson Burnett
~ Room with a view
_______________

BRANDIED BEAN & SAUSAGE CHOWDER

~ Hearty potage warms the belly & feeds the soul on these frigid days

______________

2 lbs. special bean soup mix (e.g. '16' bean assortment with large lima, navy, red kidney, baby lima, great northern, speckled lima, black, pinto, cranberry, pink, and black-eyes peas, green and yellow split peas, lentils, etc. )
3 lbs. bulk Italian sausage (one plain, one hot or spicy and one fennel )
3 quarts organic chicken broth
1 large chopped Spanish onion
3 large chopped garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 large chopped green pepper
1 large chopped red pepper
1 lb. peeled and diagonally sliced carrots
1 can (28-ounce) Italian style diced tomatoes
1 jar (32-ounce) sugar-free favorite pasta sauce
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup chili powder
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. basil
1 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. crushed rosemary
2 whole bay leaves
lots of cracked pepper
Lawrey's Seasoned pepper to taste
coarse salt to taste
juice of large lemon
1 hefty cup brandy

  • Wash and soak beans. Cover with cold water and soak 2 hours or overnight. Drain.
  • In large pot, bring beans to boil in enough cold water to cover and simmer gently about 45 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
  • While beans are cooking, saute sausage in large stockpot, breaking up large pieces. Cook until browned. If too lean, add a bit of olive oil. Drain off excess grease leaving a few scant Tbsp. Saute onion, garlic, and peppers. Carefully pour in chicken broth. Bring to boil. Add parsley, carrots, canned tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, brown sugar and seasonings. Reduce heat. Add drained beans and simmer one hour or until beans are tender. Stir in brandy before serving and adjust seasonings.
  • This hearty soup is great served with crusty sourdough or heavy multi-grained bread. (don't forget the sweet butter or, better yet, a dish of balsamic infused olive oil topped with crushed red pepper flakes.)

14 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

I don't happen to be a lover of snow. I'm in my fifties now, and worry about slipping and breaking something vital! It's sure pretty. I just want to look at it through my computer screen though!
Brenda

Pat said...

Wow !
That recipe is packed full of great ingredients.
Now I feel like soup :)
Boy oh boy, do you have alot of SNOW ! Send just a little my way, please.

beckie said...

Joey, love the quote! Brings a warm feeling-all aglow.

it is most definately soup weather, hearty, rich, filling soups!

Stay warm.

Anonymous said...

Joey, I love the picture - "room with a view" - I enjoy photos with the framing of a window or a door
K

Catherine said...

I love seeing the view of your gorgeous landscape from your beautiful windows~ it's like being their and seeing it with you! :)
We are getting the COLD temps and high winds, but yet to see any snow! Stay warm bloggin Sis!
Warm ((Hugs!))
Cat

Anonymous said...

I love the room with a view photo.

Unknown said...

When I first looked at the title of this post, my eyes saw "Braided" bean sausage chowder, and I had to come see how to braid beans! Ummm...perhaps I need my glasses prescription changed...Sounds delectable though I'm not quite up to that many beans yet. Carrot and Lentil soup, yes!

joey said...

Dear Brenda ~ even as a 'snow lover', enough is enough but it's the temps that annoy me since I love to be outside (snowshowing, cross-country skiing), surrounded by the beauty.

If I could send some snow your way, believe me I would, Patsi ... we have plenty to share. This bean pot has been a favorite for ages ... I love it!

Have a big pot of this warming chowder in the frig, dear Beckie. I love it on frigid days like this ... with all the complex carbs and protein, it's a complete meal!

Thanks dear Karen ... I love my cozy library, in all seasons, a room with a view.

Well then, you MUST grab your snowshoes, and come to enjoy the snow with me, dear Cat (and don't forget your camera :)

Thanks MNGarden ~ I love this room, my library. Many happy hours were spent with growing children, reading, hugging, and looking out of this window :)

As the old adage says, dear Jodi, "The eyes are the first to go" :) But don't worry, I beat you there wearing multiple glasses (on my head, tucked around my neck ... and contacts)! Enjoy simple foods first and, if tolerated, can later load up on beans (so tuck this recipe away ... it's a cold weather favorite).

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Yes, it's so cccccold! Arg!

joey said...

Stay warm, Monica ... there's more on the way! I just returned home from running errands and chilled to the bone. Tea time!

Unknown said...

Hi Joey
Thanks for the recipe, I like the added twist with the brandy...very nice.
I want to invite you to share your recipes with us at Foodista - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit. We also have small embeddable widgets that can help you build traffic from Foodista-related pages. Check it out here. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

So gorgeous,Joey. And East Coasters especially will so appreciate that hot soup idea. (Though I just made a big pot of chicken soup--but it must be in high 60's today!) Kathryn xoxo

joey said...

... and we've had more snow since those were taken, dear Kathryn! I remember the 60's but it's been a L O N G time ~ winter began early in November this year. I'm a soup gal also, a 'must have' in all seasons. xoxo

joey said...

Thanks Desmone, I'll check it out ;)